Kilobyte Kid
mike-scotland

SSD: cloning or preparing old drive and new SSD for change-over

I have bought a 128GB M4 (from Crucial - thanks for prompt service) for my Lenovo T410i (Intel i3, running Win 7 32 bit). Can anyone suggest a reliable and user-friendly software package to transfer everything from the old drive so that the new one boots and works with all my programmes, files etc.

I tried Windows back-up and boot CD combination along with a separate external hard drive but wasted a lot of time with messages saying that the files weren't found, disk wasn't found etc etc.

I bought a "Probox" 2.5 HDD enclosure for the new drive, which supports USB 2 and Win 7. It seems to work and the new (unused) drive is recognised.

I've seen claims for Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image etc but also seen bad reports of failures/difficulties. 

I only later noticed that Crucial sell the same SSD with a data transfer kit, but they don't sell the CD software separately.

Suggestions and advice on what to avoid would be helpful.

Binary Boss
SeanWebster

Re: SSD: cloning or preparing old drive and new SSD for change-over

in reply to mike-scotland

Use ToDo Backup to clone or make a image of the OS and restore to the new drive: http://www.overclock.net/t/1227835/how-to-disk-and-partition-cloning-backup-restoration-migration

Kilobyte Kid
mike-scotland

in reply to SeanWebster

Thanks very much for taking the time Sean.

It's great that you guys "across the pond" can be busy on our behalf while we're asleep My time is upwards of 6 hours ahead.

I'll take time to read through all your links. I wish there was a simple "task manager" as in so many modern programmes: this process takes me back 15 years when even the simplest tasks required sheets of notes and hours of time.

Mike. 

Kilobyte Kid
mike-scotland

I've now tried several times using the instructions exactly. I get the backup successfully onto an external HD, change the internal drive using the new M4, and boot up. None of the choice of backup files is recognised as a suitable backup file.

Back to square one.

Think I'll not bother, just keep the old steam-powered drive. (these software packages all seem so attractive and simple - choose this option, click this file etc, but there is always a snag.)

Kilobyte Kid
mike-scotland

Being fairly inexperienced at this sort of thing, I took all the advice from the net, from EaseUS etc etc and used their "Disc & Partition backup". It never worked. Just as I was about to give up, I tried "System Backup".

My M4 128 SSD works perfectly, all my programmes etc. But what a waste of all that time.

Thanks, Crucial. If it continues to work fine, I'll get SSD's for my other pc's.