Memory Leak Geek
arr0ww

The 5200 hour bug is a real big pain - 200+ M4 SSD's in a corporate environment

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys,

This 5200 hour bug has become a rather big and annoying problem, currently there are just over 200 Curcial M4 deployed in laptops and desktop, the latter never getting shut down and rarely rebooted. Every machine needs to be updated manually via CD, as the Windows version will not work (boot order, admin password etc, will not allow it)

Is there a way to see how many hours the SSD has been powered on WITHOUT installing 3rd Party Software? This will make it easy to see if a user is having a SSD firmware related problem or something else. I have a report to show me what firmware is on each drive in all the machines, but I have not found a way to see the powered on hours without 3rd party software( I.E SSD Life).

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: The 5200 hour bug is a real big pain - 200+ M4 SSD's in a corporate environment

in reply to arr0ww

200? Ouch!  Unfortunately he hours used count is part of the SMART data and as far as I know Windows cannot read that itself.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
Insanity

Re: The 5200 hour bug is a real big pain - 200+ M4 SSD's in a corporate environment

in reply to arr0ww

Would a USB option better for you?   You could deploy remotely much easier and quicker than multiple CD's and the USB drives are re-useable.

I posted a how-to earlier  labled 'EZ USB upgrade' or something similar.

Best of luck!!!

Memory Leak Geek
arr0ww

in reply to Insanity

Remote/hands off upgrade is not possible, even with a USB stick I, or someone else, has to physically be at the machine and perform the upgrade, no different than a CD in my case. It's fine when it's one or two, buy try getting 200+ people to stop working and reboot their computer during work hours.....

Dual Channel Surfer
alex486

in reply to arr0ww

From the sounds of things, those "rarely rebooted" desktop machines will be the first to need the update. Are all these machines in one office and connected to a LAN, or are there multiple sites with some using VPN or other remote access?

I'm wondering if using PXE boot could help here?
If isolinux (cdrom) and syslinux (usb) works, then PXELINUX might also work...

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX

I know that you would still need someone on site, but with PXELINUX you don't need any CDROM or USB and you could perform multiple upgrades at the same time as long as you have someone able to PXE boot each pc.

Memory Leak Geek
arr0ww

in reply to alex486

Unfortunatly someone would need to physcially be there to set the machine to PXE boot, may as well pop in the CD while you are at the workstation and update it.

Nice suggestion though!