Binary Boss
ooey

The lifespan of an ssd?

I've heard a lot about SSDs not being suitable to rapidly changing data due to the fact that that each memory circuit only has a lifetime of approx 10,000 switches. If this is true then it wouldn't be worth even buying an SSD.

If true, is there some way around it (i.e. when it starts to fail then reformat as it were and reinstall)? 

Is it wise to thus install programs (that don't change much) and your OS onto an SSD and just have a normal hard drive for data?

Can someone shed light on this subject?

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

Re: The lifespan of an ssd?

Yes, the same applies to USB sticks too.   You still have all of yours that you bought long ago though right?

An SSD will long outlast your desire to won it, meaning before it's close to dying you will have already bought something newer / faster / better a long time ago.

Yes, it is best to store other things that are not your OS or programs on another drive, but that is mainly to address disk space issues.

Binary Boss
ooey

But 10,000 doesnt really seem like a lot considering that ssds are so expensive these days! I do have a 2GB memory stick that is still functioning great thanks (a transcend jetflash). The interesting thing about this is that if it dies i think transcend tay they will replace it for free (i think thats why i bought it - unlimited warrenty). The same can't be said for a £300 256gb SSD!

JEDEC Jedi
lsdmeasasp

I believe that number is only a guesstimate anyway.

I do hear your concerns though, but I still think my comments above are the best real answer to things like this.

Binary Boss
ooey

Well it it is just a guesstimate then companys like crucial are doing themselves a disservice - a decent current  hard drive can claim to last longer. I can only see the problem getting worse as the litrography process drops from the current 40nm though.  

Thanks for replying, but surely I'm not the only one out there that can be concerned about this...

DIMMented
rpsgc

ooey wrote:

Well it it is just a guesstimate then companys like crucial are doing themselves a disservice - a decent current  hard drive can claim to last longer. I can only see the problem getting worse as the litrography process drops from the current 40nm though.

Thanks for replying, but surely I'm not the only one out there that can be concerned about this...

You're not. My M225 has already passed 5000 cycles of cell wearing (5049) after just 1 year and 2 months of use (6190 hours of operation).

Binary Boss
ooey

Theres always a caveat with solutions (in this case storage) which seem perfect (i.e SSDs) but actually aren't! I guess the best thing to do would be to also buy a blue ray recorder and back up onto DL 50Gb disks every say, six months to make sure you don't loose anything.

I've had 2x 200gb Western Digital HDs that have served me 5yrs and are still going strong, yet it looks like you could be looking over your shoulder in another year or so.

Now if someone could make a super-durable SSD with a decent price tag... :smileywink:

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

It's the erase that fails so they should wear to a read only state.  So while a regular backup is always a sensible idea - you don't need to be over paranoid about it.

They should last years under average use anyway.  My M225 managed about 2500 erase average in 18 months and it's on 14 hours a day 365 days a year.  And I've not done anything crazy to protect it.  My internet cache and temp files are all on the ssd.  Pretty much the only thing I moved off it was my downloads cause that's a huge amount of writing and frankly a floppy disk could keep pace with the internet speed in this country - an SSD is overkill. :smileyvery-happy:  Just don't defrag at all or benchmark much.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

DIMMented
rpsgc

Huh... something odd happened. My SSD's health was being reported as <1% due to being over 5000 cycles of cell wearing, however I just checked it today and here is what I got:

sshot-2011-01-18_000540.png

Strange huh? I'll keep monitoring it.

DIMMented
namaiki

[ Edited ]

Could click the SMART button and post a link of it?

e.g. mine lists average erase count as 1477 and reverse that and you get 3523/5000 or 70.46%: http://online.hddlife.com/ssdlife/b863b5450e0830c9d287aa144d63abac