Bit Baby
agrater

Using an SSD and eSATA for DVR expansion drive?

I'd like to use a Crucial SSD as an expansion drive for a DirecTV DVR.  

Possible?  

What to order?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Using an SSD and eSATA for DVR expansion drive?

[ Edited ]
in reply to agrater

You'd probably need to ask the makers of your PVR if SSD's work.  It's just a sata drive so if it takes sata drives it ought to function at a basic level.  I suspect your PVR doesn't support trim, so the drive would need idle time when it has power but isn't being used for Garbage Collection to run.

PVR's record and playback at a fixed bitrate so I'm not sure what you'd gain from high performance storage?  Except for a smaller capacity at great expense!? If you just want something quiet, the **Edit to remove Crucial competitor** F series drives are good.  I have an F3.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby
agrater

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

Yes, I am looking for something quiet and reliable.

I'll have a look at the **Edit to remove Crucial competitor** too. Thanks.

Kilobyte Kid
grquint

in reply to agrater

I am trying to use the Crucial m4 512GB SSD as an external drive with my DirecTV DVR (HR22-100) and so far have been unsuccessful in getting the DVR to recognize the drive.   I am using an Acomdata Tango USB 2.0/eSATA 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Enclosure and an eSATA cable that works for my other DVR with an external HDD.

I have followed DirecTV's procedure for using an external drive (i.e., powering off the DVR, connecting and powering up the SSD, then the DVR), but DirecTV just hangs looking for the disk.   Note that I have done this successfully with a HDD.

I can connect the disk to my computer (running Windows XP) using USB and have successfully formatted it, but still no success with the DVR.

I have also tried downloading the latest firmware, but the bootable USB thumb drive I created with the firmware update was unable to find the Crucial drive on bootup, so it was not successful either.

Has anyone had any success with using the Crucial as an external DVR drive?

Thanks!

G

Kilobyte Kid
Patenator

in reply to grquint

I've been using a M4 256gb in a DTVPal o.t.a. DVR since March, basically 24/7, nearly always set to an HD channel (?about 8+gb/hr = 200gb/day = 50Tb already) without problem yet.  Moreover, most of that time it's been running with only about 6 HD hours (~50gb?) of free space, all of the occupied space having been used up by early summer and almost none of that ever turned over (i.e., very few saved programs have been deleted and replaced by new saved programs). 

I wonder if the Marvell controller has been carrying out a wear-leveling procedure that periodically takes stagnantly-occupied cells and shifts their content to more-used cells so the former are freed up for cycling.  In case it isn't able to do that (e.g., because of limitations in how the DVR supplies bits or power), I plan to (every six months starting next March) manually revive some old storage space by filling up the remainder of the ssd with temp recordings, then deleting e.g., 6 hours of old saved programs, and then saving new keeper programs in space opened up by first deleting the temp recordings.

Perhaps the DVR and Marvell are writing/erasing memory without much amplification, such that with good wear leveling, the 3000 cycle rating will actually give me many years of use.  ... Could be wishful thinking...

I must say, however, it is wonderful to not have to hear the hard drive and fans; the DVR has been 100% silent (and cold - which might help the DVR circuitry last longer) ever since the mod.  It's also crashed less than with the stock HDD.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Patenator

Yeah, you should be fine.  SSD's have what is called static wear levelling which is pretty much as you describe in the first line of your second paragraph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling#Static_wear_levelling

I think the drives are rated to 72TB but that would be for a typical computer usage which would include a mix of small files that are les endurance efficient.  When you're continually writing large files they last pretty well.  Here's someone on 350TB: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm/page57

I'm not sure how long it actually lasted in the end - I stopped following it.

Dual Channel Surfer
alex486

in reply to targetbsp

targetbsp wrote:
When you're continually writing large files they last pretty well.  Here's someone on 350TB: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm/page57

I'm not sure how long it actually lasted in the end - I stopped following it.

Right now if you go to the last page (p216) there is an example of an m4:

m4
2053.8234 TiB (2 PiB)
8440 hours

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to alex486

Wow, nice!  I can't believe that ist still going lol

Kilobyte Kid
Patenator

in reply to alex486

Thanks for the info guys.  Wow, that is encouraging.  2Pb!  On a 64Gb M4 no less.  Their 25nm is holding up pretty well.  I tried to swap in a 512Gb for my 256Gb, and successfully mirrored using a Cavalry duplicator (according to the duplicator) but the dvr stubbornly reformats and cleans it. ... Dish's proprietary "Dave" file system and some kind of wicked copy protection.  These DVRs have no problem recognizing drives from another DVR, once it's formatted by one of them.  But mirroring to transfer seems impossible.  Given the encouraging signs on endurance in this application, I think I'll just keep the 256Gb in there; maybe delete some recordings so there's a bit more room on it.