Binary Boss
jokina
Accepted Solution

Win 7/8.1 installtion error 0x70080057 on laptop, but works well without any error on desktop pc.

Hello, fellows,

It is hard to explain clearly in short words. So here is my long, exhausted story...

First, my ssd is crucial m4 ssd2 2.5 inch 64GB. Former firmware:000F, now 070H

Laptop preferences: acer 4830tg, intel hm65 mainboard, 2g+8g ram, 64GB ssd+640GB HDD.

Five days ago, everything actually goes functionally on this laptop with Win7 pro. I just always feel disgusting about the sudden stucks when I did some normal executions, like open chrome, close some tabs. This long stuck should not be the proper ssd performance. So I planed to reinstall the OS.  I installed the win 8,1 into the ssd in the afternoon and it worked for around three hours well. Then I just made the laptop sleep and took it back home. Before it awaked again, I plugged the monitor VGA cable, then the screen was dead and the light of disk did not bling when the laptop was awaked. I forced to close the laptop and turned it on again. The screen stoped at the system initializing interface for more than one hour without starting the windows. Then I tried to use the USB to reinstall the windoes again. Then error came out when I wanted to format the ssd and also occurred at the beginning of copying files...I tried to update the firmware from 000F to 070H by iso. Error occurred during the installation.

On Saturday, I tried the USB for win 7 installation again. The same error code 0x70080057 came again. Then I put the ssd into the desktop pc. can be formatted, data in and out functionally, no error when windows installed into it. So I use the desktop pc to update the ssd firmware from 000F to 070H, hoped the error reason is due to the firmware. 

However, same error happened on laptop. If I put the windows installed ssd into the laptop. Then shows "Bootmgr is missing". With a cable of sata to usb. The ssd is also useful to the laptop, as a 64gb portable hard disk....

Fortunately, I can install the win 8.1 into a 2.5 inch hdd in the laptop.

For the moment, my assumption is the problem of the sata to mainborad cable in the laptop. 

But why it works for the hdd. And why the ssd works on the desktop pc, but not in the laptop. 

This makes so frustrated these days. Anyone got a clue? Thank you guys so much in advance.

Binary Boss
jokina

Re: Win 7/8.1 installtion error 0x70080057 on laptop, but works well without any error on desktop pc

in reply to jokina

anyone helps? I also reflash the BIOS today, still doesn't work... Thanks so much for your suggestions.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

Re: Win 7/8.1 installtion error 0x70080057 on laptop, but works well without any error on desktop pc

in reply to jokina

I have had similar issue with one of my systems. For that one I have had to find proper AHCI driver however it was freezing during installation and that was quite annoying.

My first guess would be that you could try to install newest Intel RST driver. It is possible to use that driver during Windows installation (at the very begining) - you should go to download site choose the newest version and download so-called F6 floppy driver (there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions so be sure to pick the right one for the system you would be trying to install). Extract the zip file to USB drive (you should have some files on USB drive after that, like: iaahcic.cat, iaAHCIC.inf, iaStorA.sys, iastorac.cat, iaStorAC.inf, iaStorF.sys).

Here is an instruction how to use them during Windows installation - http://superuser.com/questions/259217/windows-7-f6-drivers-off-a-usb-drive

It is possible some further steps would be needed but I woud try F6 driver first.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
jokina

in reply to bogdan

I will try this tomorrow, thanks a lot~

Community Manager
Crucial_YogiH

in reply to jokina

Hi jokina,

Please let us now how these tips go. Good luck!

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Binary Boss
jokina

in reply to bogdan

Hi bogdan,

Thank you very much!

Problem solved. You really did a great favor for me.

Best regards

Binary Boss
jokina

in reply to Crucial_YogiH

Hi manager,

Thank you guys, the problem is solved.