Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

Re: low 4K-64K with AS SSD

in reply to Dionysos

Dionysos wrote:

Crucial promises in the specs at least 40.000 iops read and 35.000 iops write for random 4k.

They use Iometer. I don't really know how to use that program and how to configure it to test the way Crucial does. Can anyone explain it to me or give me a link?

With AS SSD I don't get the promised iops. 

The link in my signature for my C300 review has my test setup configuration files for ioMeter, but you will still need to adjust those configurations for your CPU core count.  It is a tricky program to configure, so those tiles may or may not help if you aren't already familiar with the program.

Here's a guide that may help you understand ioMeter a little better.

http://greg.porter.name/wiki/HowTo:iometer

SODIMM Sherpa
Dionysos

[ Edited ]
in reply to lsdmeasasp

Thank you! The config files help.

I will test tomorrow. 

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to Dionysos

Great!   You can open them in notepad and edit, or import and edit from there.   It may be easier for you to edit in notepad, just be sure you scroll all the way through it and remove each instance for cores your system doesn't have, and then of course change the main core count number too.

DIMMented
GeneO

in reply to Dionysos

You are not alone in this. There have been a few posts about this and a nuimber of people with the same issue.

You can performa a secure erase and it will right the problem, but not for long. With me at least, the low performance, once it occurs, appears to stay. Mine was performing fine for 6 months before it started. And there are no apparent other issues with the SSD.

Dionysos wrote:

Hello,

I have a m4 128 GB since 06/11. It was built into a SATA II system, and gave me perfect results for that "old" plattform. After I tested the SSD and everything was okay, I encrypted the whole drive with Bitlocker. I didn't feel any performance loss, everything was as fast as before. And Bitlocker supports TRIM.

A few days ago i built a new system:

Z68

i5-2500K @ 4.2 GHz

8 GB DDR3-1333

Windows 7 x64 NOT encrypted

I took the m4 out of the SATA II system, and installed Windows 7 on it in EFI-Mode. Then I installed all the programs i need, and run AS SSD to make sure everything is okay, before I encrypt my system again. The results were worse than on my SATA II system! Well, seq. read was better, but 4K-64K are too low.

Some Screenshots:

as-ssd-bench M4-CT128M4SSD2 05.02.2012 13-10-10.png

with Prime95 @ 1 core:

as-ssd-bench M4-CT128M4SSD2 05.02.2012 13-12-39.png 

I filled the drive to 95%, deleted the files and left the system idle for a while. Didn't help.

I did a backup, secure erased the drive, restored the Backup. Didn't help:

as-ssd-bench M4-CT128M4SSD2 06.02.2012 11-46-35.png 

That's what CrystalDiskInfo reads:

Unbenannt.png

I don't get better results in safe mode. The only difference to the system before is that I installed Windows in EFI mode... but that can't be the reason, can it? Any suggestions?

Kind regards, Dionysos 

SODIMM Sherpa
Dionysos

[ Edited ]
in reply to GeneO

Yes, at least I am not alone. But a secure erase didn't help in my case. And even if it would help, that isn't an option as it obviously doen't right the problem.

I bought this SSD, because I thought that i wont have any performance drops like with a Sandforce-SSD.

I hope the few of us just have an exceptional SSD in a bad sense.

Whatever... Finally i found the time to benchmark with Iometer. Each run took 3 minutes.

4K random read QD32:

Total I/O per Second: 34624.20

Total MBs per Second (Decimal): 141.82

Average I/O Response Time (ms): 0.9238

Maximum I/O Response Time (ms): 17.3566 

4K random write QD 32:

Total I/O per Second: 28435.45

Total MBs per Second (Decimal): 116.47

Average I/O Response Time (ms): 1.1249

Maximum I/O Response Time (ms): 117.2681

Not looking too good... 

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

[ Edited ]
in reply to Dionysos

You need to change the display buttons function, I/OP's are not measure in MB/s in the tool like that. You want to change them to I/OP's at the top (Optional), and then one for Read I/OP's and one for Write I/OP's.  See my examples below for how your results should look.   And I went and looked in one of my results csv files, and I see similar MB/s to what you mentioned in the actual MB/s result colum (which is not what you use, but I checked to see if it sounded like what you posted as a result to see if mine speeds where similar to what you are looking at).  Also, due to how tricky it is to make this app work properly for what you want, you still may not have the test configured correctly, upload one of your latest csv files and I'll take a look.  Delete your old one or rename it, and only upload a new one, this way we're sure we are looking at your latest configured results.

Also, I just noticed in your previous images that your disk was aligned to 234496K, this is going to result in my configuration not working correctly for you, as it starts testing at 1024K, so your testing with my configurations would be done outside of your aligned partition most likely.   You'll need to either test the disk by itself with a newly aligned partition matching what I use 1024K and run this test from windows on a secondary disk, or reconfigure your testing parameters in your config files or program per test setup

Please note, these tests were ran LONG ago for my C300 review :smileytongue:

If you want, I can run some new tests that show MB/s on the same screen as I/OP's (I/OP's which is shown below, and what you need to go by).   I can't add the MB/s for these images because I have 1000's of test results that are all in one office file and from various setups, disk configurations, ect and they are not labeled within the OS file, so I don't know which results go with these images.  But I can setup some new tests for you that show I/OP's and MBps in the same window.   But I can drop a random example for you, it may be in 2 x C300 RAID, or single disk on one of many controllers I tested for the review so keep in mind this is only an example to show you how to read what in the app, it's not meant to give you any speed or expected result example to compare to since the test disk and controller configuration is unknown

4K (Align 4096, starting sector 1024); 100% Random Read; 0% Random Write; Queue Depth 32 - Worker 8

89,319.25 I/OP's - writing 348.9033MBps

4K (Align 4096, starting sector 1024); 0% Read; 100% Random Write; Queue Depth 32 - Worker 8

60,995.14 I/OP's - writing 238.2623MBps

Random image examples, not directly related to above mentioned examples

Read I/OP's @ 55,000+ (right click view image to enlarge, or follow link)

http://i.imgur.com/Hhrpb.jpg

Write I/OP's 32,000+

http://i.imgur.com/ayiT4.jpg

SODIMM Sherpa
Dionysos

[ Edited ]
in reply to lsdmeasasp

"You need to change the display buttons function, I/OP's are not measure in MB/s in the tool like that. You want to change them to I/OP's at the top (Optional), and then one for Read I/OP's and one for Write I/OP's. See my examples below for how your results should look."

What for? You can see the total I/Os.
If it's 100% read, then total I/Os are the same.
Same with write.

I am pretty confident, that I configured Iometer correctly, but I will upload my csv-files. I just didn't save them so I will do it tomorrow.

"Also, I just noticed in your previous images that your disk was aligned to 234496K, this is going to result in my configuration not working correctly for you, as it starts testing at 1024K, so your testing with my configurations would be done outside of your aligned partition most likely. You'll need to either test the disk by itself with a newly aligned partition matching what I use 1024K and run this test from windows on a secondary disk, or reconfigure your testing parameters in your config files or program per test setup"

Alignment is the same no matter if 1024K, 103424K or 234496K. That's just a matter of partitioning.
iobw.tst is on C:, my only "real" partition so everything should be good. The other partitions are the 100 MB partition and one with 128 MB due to EFI install.

I will give the exact Iometer configuration tomorrow. I'd love, if Crucial could send me their csv files! :smileywink:

SODIMM Sherpa
Dionysos

[ Edited ]
in reply to Dionysos

I tested again with 234496K, 1 worker respective all 4 workers assigned to C: etc. Results are the same (4 workers are even worse).

I uploaded image, csv and result files: http://www.MegaShare.com/3959781

SODIMM Sherpa
Holt

in reply to Dionysos

MBbs or I/OP/s is just the same, as long as we talk about all operations being 4k, just multiply your IOPS by 4 and you get the MB/s. You should not need to explain how to get from MB/s to IOPS, should I?

Instead of silly discussion on how to display results I would rather like to see an explanation or how to restore the original Performance again.

DIMMented
GeneO

Me too

Holt wrote:

MBbs or I/OP/s is just the same, as long as we talk about all operations being 4k, just multiply your IOPS by 4 and you get the MB/s. You should not need to explain how to get from MB/s to IOPS, should I?

Instead of silly discussion on how to display results I would rather like to see an explanation or how to restore the original Performance again.