Bit Baby
jan_buelens

Max memory size in Dell Precision T3400

Crucial's memory advisor tool claims that my Dell Precision Workstation T3400 supports a maximum of 16 GB. This contradicts Dell's own specifications (8 GB) as well as the chipset specifications (the chipset is intel X38, which is limited to 8 GB).

One possible source of confusion is the fact that the motherboard has 4 memory slots and the slots do support 4 GB DIMMs. Indeed, go to Dell's web site and see what memory upgrade you can buy from them for a T3400. One option you get is 2 x 4 GB, i.e. Dell will sell and support 4 GB DIMMs. But 4 x 4 GB is not an option that they list.

I would love to be proved wrong, but my understanding is that 4 x 4 GB is not going to be work in my computer.

Crucial_maulmod

Re: Max memory size in Dell Precision T3400

Usually the maximum memory of a system has to be divided equally over the number of slots so if it supports 4GB in one slot, it should support it in them all, unless limitations have been introduced at the manufacturing stage.

Very often manufacturers can release different versions of systems with slight variances in the specifications i.e. how many slots and how much it can take etc. which can sometimes cause confusion.  This appears to be the case for your system as the US version can take up to 16GB, which is confirmed here but viewing their UK site it states the maximum as 8GB.  I'm not sure if there are any additional models to this.  As our database serves customers worldwide we have to show all compatible parts. 

It would be best to contact the manufacturer with your serial number to confirm exactly which model you have if you are unsure.

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby
nstapley

Hi

I have just ordered 4x4GB DIMMS from Crucial believing that this was compatible with the T3400 bios A05.  However, the system is failing to see all 4 chips and 16GB, only sees 2 of the 4 chips at 8GB.

There is conflicting information all over the internet and Dell's own web site, I'm presuming my system will not support 16GB regardless of BIOS updates etc? Can anyone definitively confirm?

Regards
Nik

Bit Baby
MD99_UK

I upgraded my T3400 with 2 x 4gb first about 4 weeks ago and fine, all worked.  Have just received an additional 2 x 4gb to increase to 16gb and got a boot error. Using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 but found using an old BIOS.  Upgraded to A11 and all works OK. 

Bit Baby
icfantv

[ Edited ]

You need to have at least version A08 of the bios.  It's up to A11 now as I've just upgraded the BIOS.  I have seen searches online of people who have claimed to be using 16GB of RAM in their T3400's and I've no reason to doubt them.

I've gotten approval from my manager to order it for my desktop and I've just succesfully upgraded to the A11 BIOS.  If I remember I will post the results here after upgrading.

Bit Baby
Starchild57

I think I know where you're getting your confusion, when a manufacture builds a systems the build it on the DIMMS available at the time of model build.  And if only 2GB DIMMS were availabe with the speed and clock cycles at the time of design and release then that's all they put as available.  I bought a refurbished HP/Compaq workstation that only supported 1GB DIMMs when it was released well several years later the memory industry released a 2GB DIMM with the same speed/clock cycles and Cruical said it would work even though the vender, HP/Compaq didn't list it.  As long as you match the clock speed/cycles required of your motherboard I don't see why the larger DIMMs won't work.  The system I put the 2GB DIMMs in vice the 1GB DIMMs works great and the BIOS recognized them without any issues.  PC manufacturers don't want to waste time recertify and upgrading things like DIMMs on older hardware because that means you probably would keep it longer.  Plus with as quickly as hardware becomes out-of-date there's not alot of demand to go back and retrofit systems.  I'm looking a possibly buying a refurbished T3400 and I will definitely be putting 16GB of RAM in it.  Have a great day.