Kilobyte Kid
terryc_80

Need Help with new RAM - Screen Blank

I bought new RAM for my computer and when i install it and then turn on my computer the screen just stays blank. I read that this could be because I have the wrong type of RAM. But crucial.com and another site says this is the type I need.  Here is what the scan results of my computer should up and what I bought.

My Computer is Gateway 510 XL
When I do a scan here is the type of memory it says I need.

Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)

Then it gives me ones I can buy and here are the two options.

Module Size: 2GB kit (1GBx2)
Package: 184-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR PC2700
Specs: DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64

or

Module Size: 2GB kit (1GBx2)
Package: 184-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR PC3200
Specs: DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64

I bought the 2nd one. The  PC3200. I installed it correctly and it wont work. You think that it isnt a right match or is there something else I can try. Or should i try the PC2700 ones. I just hate to waste money on buying more RAM if I can get these to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

Re: Need Help with new RAM - Screen Blank

in reply to terryc_80

Hello terryc_80,

That memory looks right to me and it should work fine; however, you should test each new module, one at a time, to verify that both new sticks are good. Now, if you can't get either to work individually, then there are other issues that need to be addressed. Also, many installation problems are easily resolved by making sure that the new RAM is "seated all the way into their respective slots." Sometimes the new memory is harder to seat than the old memory for some reason. And finally, if all else fails, put the old memory back in and check for a bios update at the Gateway website. In summary, if none of the above solves your problem, you may have to RMA the memory.

Good luck.

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Kilobyte Kid
terryc_80

in reply to norepli

Thanks. When i get home from work I will try putting in one at a time and see if that helps. Not sure how to update the bios or where to go on gateways website. Cant seem to find it. Is there a link you can provide for that.

Again I appreciate the help

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

in reply to terryc_80

Gateway 510 XL is not adequate to find your specific bios update. There's more information required (eg, need the full name including r0/r1 designation plus a specific part number that is also part of the title). When I tried a search with the limited information you provided, I ended up here and then when I clicked on "drivers and downloads", I found that the latest bios revision available had an earlier creation date than the previous revision??? Anyway, based on this confusion, try everything else first and then if a bios update turns out to be your last resort, be prepared to provide the full product title as identified in your owner's manual.

Hoping we don't have to go that route. 

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to norepli

Yes Norepli, that is very odd, the revision is also much higher!   Makes you wonder what's going on there for sure!  Maybe it's just a typo on the latest update date info?

Anyway, justs stopping in to see if you've had any luck with this yet.   I agree, test the modules one by one, and then if no luck you'll probably need to update the BIOS.   Be sure you are removing your old memory and putting the new memory into the same slots that the old was installed into.

You can verify the current BIOS version with your old memory installed, but looking with CPU-z in the mainboard tab.  If you do this please post an image here for us to look at, thanks!

CPU-Z

*Edit*

I checked the files, and they both have the same 4/23/2004 date in the change logs, but the actual BIOS files are different, one is last modified in 2003 and one is 2004

http://i.imgur.com/TqycC.png

Kilobyte Kid
terryc_80

in reply to lsdmeasasp

Sorry its taken so long to answer. It turns out it was a defective module.  I put them in one at a time in the same slot and one worked and one didnt. Im getting it replaced. I appreciate the help.  Wonder why i never thought of doing one at a time. Something so easy.lol.

Thanks again

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

in reply to terryc_80

Hi terryc_80,

Thanks for sharing your findings! Could you please take a moment and mark this thread as solved?

Thanks,

norepli

Bank and Slot Hot Shot
lsdmeasasp

in reply to norepli

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear you found the cause of the issue!

Sorry to hear about the faulty module though!   :smileysad:

Keep us posted when the new ones arrive, good luck on a speedy replacement!