Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

Re: Unable to boot laptop after adding 2gb of crucial memory.

Forget the image upload, here's what we're looking for: (image must be approved before it is visible)

memread.jpg

As far as the BIOS goes, it has probably been totally restricted by the vendor so you hqave no options there.

Get the information (boxed in red) and give us the details.

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

[ Edited ]

You should also provide the following information so we can confirm which rebrand you have and possibly find you a BIOS update that might work:

mobo42.jpg

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Kilobyte Kid
Flashingecho

Hi Norepli, apologies for the delay in replying, work, family etc etc. Anyway I'm sorry to say that after running HWInfo util, the output displayed does not appear to contain any of the details you require. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

[ Edited ]

Sometimes the report information is "hidden" behind other open Windows:

hwinfo-image1.jpg

You might have to close down a few windows (in front of it) for it to become visible and navigable.

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Forget the additional information because I think I have found the answer to your problem.

The answer is that your specific laptop (Ei Systems 3115 Laptop) only supports a maximum of 2GBs total with a maximum size of 1GB in each slot. Now, lacking any official support site for the defunct E1 Systems, I researched the internet and found another person that experienced the exact same problem as you here. I also found several UK sites that still offer compatible upgrade modules (based on Ei Systems' 3115 specs) and they ALL only offer a 1GB maximum upgrade.

So, in this case, I have to assume that the Crucial Scanner identified the chipset "family" correctly but missed the mark on identifying the limitations of your specific Ei Systems 3115 laptop. (A Crucial response is encouraged here)

Note: The Crucial Advisor doesn't have a listing for this specific model either.

Anyway, I would look to return the new 2GB module and replace it with a compatible 1GB module.

Best regards,

norepli

Kilobyte Kid
Flashingecho

Hi Norepli,

Was just about to post the required info and saw your reply. Many thanks for your efforts. I will contact Crucial as the module was, as you state, bought on the strength of their scanner. The laptop can be painfully slow with the system memory running at 85% for huge chunks of the time. Anyway another 1GB should hopefully alleviate that somewhat.

Have yourself a very happy Hogmanay and best wishes for 2012.

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

[ Edited ]

And a happy Hogmanay to you as well!

Also, please mark this thread as solved if you feel you have found an acceptable solution.

And, if you happen to work for HP over there, please say hello to my buddy Ian Stewart and tell him that "Mr. NEBS" said hello!

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

One more thought:

Now that you have determined the original module that is in your PC (example: pc2-4200) from the HWInfo report, I would recommend that you buy a 1GB module that "matches exactly" what you already have. Don't buy a faster module (example: pc2-5300) because it will only be downclocked to the slowest speed (which would be your original chip speed) and mixing RAMs of different speeds sometimes complicates the upgrade process.

Kilobyte Kid
Flashingecho

Understood, my installed memory  seems to be DDR2 5300 so should be no problem. I'll contact Crucial after the Holidays. Fraid I don't work for HP but if you know anyone at British Airways, I'll happily pass on a message.

Once again....Thanks and all the very best.