Kilobyte Kid
iain_robinson
Accepted Solution

new DDR2 PC2-8500 RAM causing no post, no beeps, no video

Hi all

I used the Crucial Advisor to buy a "4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-8500 memory module" (Part Number: CT2KIT25664AA1067) for my Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 motherboard. When I remove my current RAM and insert the new sticks they don't work - I get no POST, no beeps, no video. I'm **bleep** sure they are in far enough - the clasps are in place. Would break the board pushing any harder. They were certainly a tighter fit than the existing ones though.

I have reset the CMOS, loaded fail-safe defaults, changed some settings in the BIOS, all with no results. I also tried each stick individually - no change.

Anyone else seen this - what else can I do? Now I'm thinking the memory is not compatible with my mobo - the manual doesn't list 1066 memory as being supported but I can't get on Gigabyte's website to get the lastest manual or BIOS. Errors every time.

grateful for any tips

Iain

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

Re: new DDR2 PC2-8500 RAM causing no post, no beeps, no video

Hello,

Here is a direct link to download your mobo manual:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_gan650sli_ds4_e.pdf

Here is a direct link to download your latest BIOS (F8F Dated 2007/12/12):

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/motherboard_bios_ga-ex58-ud3r_f12q.exe

Here is a direct link to download your mobo's supported memory list:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/motherboard_memory_ga-n650sli-ds4.pdf

Good luck!

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.
Kilobyte Kid
iain_robinson

Thanks norepli - it was weird that I couldn't get anything out of the Gigabyte site last night.

In the compatible memory PDF you sent the link to 1066 memory is not mentioned - 800 is the highest. Yet the 1066 memory was recommended by Crucial. Has that happened before?

Although I was a regular upgrader and tweaked in recent years I have not kept up with things so when I came to do this upgrade I just let Crucial take the strain.

I'll upgrade the BIOS tonight and see what difference that makes.

cheers,

Iain

Kilobyte Kid
iain_robinson

Just popped back to say that an update to the BIOS did it. I hadn't updated it before because the description of what was updated in the BIOS didn't sound very interesting and it certainly didn't mention anything about memory speeds.

Thanks for your help.

Iain

Dual Channel Surfer
norepli

[ Edited ]

Hello Iain,

Glad to hear you are up and running again!

Best regards,

norepli

Did someone help you today? Please click the star (on the left) to "Thank them with a Kudo!"
If a specific post answers your question(s), please "Mark it as the Accepted Solution."

About me:  I do not work for Crucial but I trust and use their memory (exclusively) when upgrading.